Posted On 16 May 2018
You ve now started your new weight training program and you have your eyes on your goal to burn some fat and put on some muscle. Some think that working out really hard is all you need to achieve weight loss. This approach is false. The foundation for any fitness regimen will always be a proper nutrition program.
Implementing a new nutrition program is a process. Here are 6 simple steps to start your new weight loss and nutrition program.
- Don t let the details slow you down. Jump in and learn as you go. It s best to start with small moves. Since most people s diet consists primarily of starch and processed food, this is a good place to start. Try minimizing or eliminating packaged food and foods that are high in sugar.
- Keep your grocery cart full of items you would find along the perimeter of the grocery store. Your meals should be made up of fresh meats combined with colorful fruits and vegetables. Food found inside the aisles are processed and preserved with ingredients that can be harmful towards your long term health.
- Your body will tell you everything you need to know. Your goal is small balanced meals about every 3 hours. So start by evaluating the way you feel 3 hours after every meal. If you are sleepy, you probably had too many carbohydrates. If you are really hungry, there was likely a miscalculation in your portions or food combination. If you are still full, you probably had a portion too big for your frame. Set an alarm and evaluate the way you feel every few hours.
- Do your research before you take any advice. Knowledge is power. When you have a good understanding why something is good (or bad) it makes the decision making process much easier.
- Record what you eat. Make notes of portions and combinations. It s also a good idea to document how you feel throughout the day. Are you feeling mentally sharper or sluggish? Do you jump out of bed or do you hate your alarm clock? Find an accountability partner or coach to help review your journal. A journal will help you understand what works best for you.
- With our busy lifestyles, most people will never be 100% with their fitness and nutrition. Strive for 85%. Many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to nutrition, which eventually leads to yo-yo diet failure. Realize that things happen. If you stumble, it is ok. Get back on track with your next meal.
These 6 tips will help you get started in your pursuit of weight loss, health and wellness. Fitness and nutrition are lifelong endeavors. Make these 6 steps part of your lifestyle and look at the big picture. Your current weight and body composition are a result of many years of your current nutrition and fitness program.
It will not get reversed over night. Be patient and stick with it. These are simple guidelines that will help you get started in a good direction towards your goal of achieving an elite level of fitness, health and wellness.